After an extensive search, I found a technical fabric mill capable of producing exactly the material I was after. They create materials for such companies as North Face®, Columbia®, Mammut®, Under Armor®, and even Gore®... the makers of Gore-Tex®. In order to fund the huge minimum quantity required to produce it, the Kickstarter community helped raise over $150k and the Soft Shell was born.
- Strong: Originally created for use in motorcycle wear, the material was subjected to 70mph crash tests using real pavement during development. Its strength is derived by blending super-strong synthetics together at ultra-high weave densities. Like high thread count sheets, this stuff feels amazing.
- Thin: At less than .5mm thick, it has enough body to be substantial, yet adds virtually nothing to your load.
- Waterproof: A DWR coating is also applied to make liquid roll right off Machine washable: It can even be thrown in the washing machine! (No fabric softener)
EnvironmentalBluesign® is a system of qualifying earth-friendly chemicals before use in manufacturing resulting in products that have a lower environmental footprint. Its used by some of the more progressive leaders in the apparel industry:
- Patagonia: Patagonia has worked with bluesign® technologies since 2000 to evaluate and reduce resource consumption in our materials supply chain, and to assist us with managing the chemicals, dyes and finishes used in the process.
- North Face: We are proud of the work we have done in partnership with bluesign technologies to achieve bluesign® approved fabric designation in a number of The North Face® products.
- Burton: In 2011, Burton engaged industry-leading bluesign® technologies to help us dive deeper into making our products and supply chain more friendly for people and the environment.
MICRO Size Soft Shell
This layout is based on the Tyvek® MICRO size, but the best construction methods from fabric and leather are applied.
- Holds 8-12 Cards
- Money pocket holds US, Canadian, Euro (up to 20€ w/o folding), Mexican, Australian, and similar sized currency
- Small footprint
Original Size Soft Shell
- Ideal for 11 cards but holds 20+
- Fits all international currency, boarding passes, oversize checks, and receipts
- Ultra thin due to side by side card configuration